The CUSTOMER FIRST PHILOSOPHY:
Understanding Our Customer’s Business
- To serve our customer’s needs at the highest possible level, we need to understand what our customers do, what markets they serve, and what level of service they need to be successful in those markets. That means understanding the entire value stream from the time our Customer receives an order for their product, to the time when our customer’s product is utilized by their end customer. Only with that understanding can we see where our products fall in the value stream, and what we need to do to ensure the success of our customers.
- Inside that value stream, we need to understand what is most important to our customers. We utilize the Voice of the Customer (VOC) to help us determine how we can achieve the highest standard of customer service. We understand that no two businesses are alike, and that every organization places different emphasis on various aspects of their suppliers’ products and services. We are committed to understanding your company’s particular needs so that we can provide the right level of service to meet them.
- Once we have a clear understanding of our customer’s product and service needs, we make sure that our capabilities can meet those needs. Even though we have some of the most modern fabrication equipment, extensive forming capabilities, and two extrusion press sizes, we understand that we cannot be all things to all people. It is of benefit to neither the customer, nor us, if we try to be something we are not. We believe that if we are not well suited to serve a customer’s product or service needs, we need to be honest about it up front instead of overpromising and under-delivering.
- Gordon Aluminum looks to be an integral part of our customer’s success. That means working with our customers to provide solutions to the challenges they face in their market place. It means not just providing a high-quality product, on time, and on budget, but also providing it in the manner that helps our customer streamline their operations and eliminate waste from the value stream. It means working together to find the best way to do things and sharing the benefits, because in the end, our customer’s success is the measure of our success.
The Right-Side-Up Company
- Our Customer First Philosophy isn’t just something that we preach to our customers. It is how we operate from the floor up. Too many companies treat their customers simply as a source of revenue to fund their operations. At Gordon, all levels of management and production are here to serve the customer. The executive team supports the managers, the managers support production, production supports customer service, and we all support the customer. In our environment, the customer is the top of the hierarchy.
- You might find it odd that we have barely mentioned quality and pricing thus far. That’s because we believe they are simply a given. It’s not that we don’t think quality and prices are important – quite the contrary – they are critical. Without a quality part at a competitive price, there cannot be a buyer / supplier relationship. At Gordon Aluminum, we have achieved 99.5% or better delivered quality. And we do it at a competitive price that keeps customers coming back, some for more than 30 years!
- Gordon Aluminum opened in 1958, and we’ve seen our share of trials and tribulation in the last three generations of family ownership. That tells you that through thick and thin, Gordon Aluminum is going to be there to support your needs without dealing with a new set of managers every time there is another round of acquisitions. That doesn’t mean that we never change. We are constantly looking for, and finding, new and better ways to handle information, manufacture our products, manage our operations, and serve our customers.
- We will use all of our experience, knowledge, technology, and creativity to help our customers better serve their markets. We will always, and in all ways, push for our customers’ success.